My SB Radio in the bathroom is set up with 4 Spotify accounts and if any
other family member navigate to their account/playlists (using the menus
on the radio) Spotify Connect on my phone is grayed out with the words
"Can't play this right now" when I go to the bathroom a few minutes
after.

I assume this is happening because I try to connect to SB Radio with my
account when my another account is active. Is this by design/a
limitation that can't be fixed?

TBH: no idea. I would assume that's a limitation in Spotify Connect. I don't have any real Connect hardware here, therefore can't test. But I'd say it's only fair to not be able to "steal" a player from another user.

--

Michael