philippe_44 wrote:
> It's about who is the master of clocks and both want to be.
>
> An AirPlay controller wants to dictate the timing of playback as
> obviously this is the way to ensure video/audio sync. LMS also needs to
> be the master of clocks to provide multi-players sync. LMS does not have
> a way to let an external source decide of its timing, that's deep inside
> the code.
>
> So when you put the two together, this is why it does not work. It's not
> about shairport source code, I have largely re-implemented the whole
> airplay protocol, client and server (and LMS is open source as well)
>
> So is this totally unfeasible? The answer is no but it would require
> lots of changes inside LMS code, not in the form of a plugin, but more
> likely a real fork that I can't see Michael accepting to bring back to
> mainstream due to risk of regressions
>
> At the end, it's about the reward/pain ratio which is low here for a
> specific use case. When I took over Shairtunes maintenance, I added the
> possibility to have multiple LMS players in sync while playing from an
> AirPlay source as I felt this was really a broad use case that I was
> interested into as well - there is no better motivation than doing
> something you need for yourself.

Thanks for your effort in coding and replying. I personally have only
one player, so I have zero interest in multiplayer setup. Can
video/audio auto sync work with one exclusive player? Can the airplay
source be the master if there is only one receiver?

Squeezebox Touch connected to LMS on Max2Play on Raspberry Pi 3 - Model