slartibartfast wrote:
> I can shut the server down from putty with
> sudo service logitechmediaserver stop

That's a different command. Material cannot call sudo commands - it
calls the built-in LMS 'stopserver' command. This, I assume tells LMS to
start. It's possible systemd notices this, and restarts the service. I
guess one way to tell would be to look at the uptime of the service.
Anyhow, Material is working as designed - its using the LMS APIs. You
can, if you want, add extra commands to Material - see the 'Custom menu
entries' section of
https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-material/wiki/Detailed-Information

*Material debug:* 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json
2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools
4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.