Sigh, my 10-year old Vortexbox has finally given up the ghost so my
music library is temporarily playing through VLC, and my 2 Booms are
silent. The good news is that I have a Synology DS220+ on order and it
appears that I can install LMS8 on it and get my Booms back on line.
However, the Synology OS is brand-new to me and I’m currently on a
fairly steep learning curve. That being the case, I’m a little confused
by the instructions here as to how to install LMS8  (especially since
Synology no longer seem to have an ‘official’ Logitech package in their
list) and hope someone can help me out.

In post #1, the instructions state that Perl must be installed before
LMS8. However, the instructions in #115 make no mention of the Perl
install and simply talk about sourcing and installing the LMS package.
Similarly, post #1 seems to indicate that I require a specific package
(x86_64 in the case of a DS220+) and elsewhere there seems to be an
implication that I need to specifically pick this up from the
-sourceforge -repository and sideload it into Package Centre. Lastly,
even after reading the entire 7.9.2 and 8.0 threads(!), I’m confused by
the relationship between LmsUpdate and LmsRepack

If someone could summarise the required install steps on a brand-new
Synology NAS (DS220+ in my case) that would be great. I don’t need to
know which buttons to press (I’ve been playing around with Synology’s
DSM simulator and am reasonably happy with using Package Centre), just
what needs to be installed, from where and in which order.

Grateful thanks for all thoughts and comments. I’m really looking
forward to getting my SQ environment back up and running and am
especially grateful to pinkdot and everyone else who have worked so hard
to keep SBS/LMS alive