Greetings.

I've been researching Daphile for a while now, and I believe it's
exactly what I've been looking for.

I've done some test installations and it's performed incredibly well,
with one exception - I cannot start up to the desired drive without
using the install media attached, and restarting.

Here's the setup:

The server: 32-bit Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (also called the Inspiron 910),
Diamondville Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache), 2 GB of
RAM.  Unit is set to USB BIOS Legacy Support from the firmware, so it
may boot from USB.  Also, the Dell's internal 16 GB PATA SSD has been
disabled in Firmware so the Dell will not boot from it nor should it
recognize it during startup.  This 16 GB PATA SSD has a functional
installation of LXLE on it - https://www.lxle.net/ .

External USB drive - Western Digital , 1TB.

I used the 32-bit x86 daphile-20.08-i486.iso to create an
installer/bootable USB keychain drive, using UNetbootin.  Creation of
said USB keychain drive worked flawlessly, as did startup to it and
running Daphile, also using the provided setup option to "clear disk
drive for installation"  - the Western Digital 1TB.

So, I then followed the instructions in the guide:
https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf - "6 Final
target installation of Daphile."

After this completed, I successfully restarted to the external Western
Digital USB 1TB drive, and it has functioned.

However, if I shut down the Dell and then reboot, I get a variety of
error messages:

1.

Read Error

2.

error: failure reading sector 0x802 from 'hd0'
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> ls

grub rescue> ls -l
error: failure reading sector 0x802 from 'hd0'
grub rescue> set
cmdpath=(hd0)
prefix=(hd0, msdos1)/grub
root=hd0, msdos1
grub rescue>

3.

Rebooting might get me to an actual  GNU GRUB menu (version 2.04), where
I have the option to select and start from *Daphile SW-version
fw2008040757.

Pressing enter to boot to this selection, and I will get one of the
following error messages:

Failure reading sector 0x450c0 from 'hd0'
error: no such partition
error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue...

error: failure reading sector 0x802 from 'hd0'
error: no such partition
error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue...

error: no such partition
error: no such partition
error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue...

Which brings me back to the grub menu, where I can select "c" for the
command line, and then get a proper grub prompt, where I can now enter
in the following:

grub> menuentry "Daphile" {insmod chaininsmod ext2set root=(hd0,msdos1)
# 2nd HDD, 3rd partitionchainloader +1}

[ after discovery using the previous set command - ls didn't work -
(hd0,msdos1) substituting (hd1,3) from " 9.1 BIOS boot loaders" found at
https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf ]

Even after following these instructions, I still get the errors listed
above.

However, if I insert the installer USB keychain drive, start up to
Daphile from that, remove the keychain drive when prompted, on another
computer navigate through a web browser to Settings>Restart System, it
restarts to the external drive and everything works as desired - The
Dell Mini starts up and runs from the attached external USB drive, and
all of the music loaded onto this external drive is available to serve
up to the rest of the various players throughout the house, as well as
playing back from the Mini.

That said, if I insert the installer USB keychain drive, start up to
Daphile from that, remove the keychain drive when prompted, on another
computer navigate through a web browser to Shutdown and select either
Restart or Shutdown, and the computer either restarts or I manually
restart it, I get one of the above errors, or perhaps something like
this:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For RealTek RTL8101E/0102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: XX YY ZZ AA BB CC    GUID:
12345678-1234-1234-1234-ABCD12345678
PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

>From https://www.daphile.com/download/DaphileInstallation.pdf : "9
Multiboot configuration.  Daphile installation tool does not support
multiboot configurations. However with a little expertize and manual
work it's possible to install and configure also Daphile to work on
multiple operating system setup."

Ultimately, what I'm wanting to do with this is run Daphile using this
Dell Mini 9, where Daphile is installed on an external hard drive -
along with all of the music - and the computer automatically boots from
the external.

For a variety of reasons, installing onto the internal drive isn't an
option.  There is no plan for making this a multiboot system; Daphile is
simply going to be installed upon and run from an external USB drive.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  I'd love to get this up and
running as described.

Thanks in advance!