arressen wrote:
> Re-direct on router, proxy configuration over https, with backend user
> authentication before pass through. I'm not suggesting it's
> plug-and-play - very little in this space is really - but it seems to me
> to be a lot easier than jumping through these hoops.

That is what I do for my own set-up.
I went down that route early on because I didn't want to have to redo
the ngrok initialisation each time I (rarely) restarted the server and I
didn't want to buy an ngrok service because I was not really sure that I
would need it.
So ... I run it over nginx with a letsencrypt cert (I even helped
resolve an issue with one of the renewal scripts -
https://gist.github.com/Greelan/28a46a33140b65c9a045573ca460f044#gistcomment-3140115
)

However, when Phil came up with the automatic updater mechanism that
meant that the ngrok free service could be used without having to
re-enter authentication information which makes that route much easier.
I came up with some small changes to the Python script and Phil made
some more in the script and back-end and it became even better.

> That said, given the very limited usage scenario in focus right now I'm
> not entirely convinced that a straight redirect to port 9000 would
> actually be a complete non-starter. How significant a risk would it be
> really?

Take a look at the "Don't forward" thread from mherger
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107165-IMPORTANT-Stop-forwarding-your-LMS-ports-to-the-internet

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland