Tx, so does "using" mean using my own artist photo library or trying to
view artist photos (and letting MAI download and cache/store them)?

MAI would first look in your music folder. If it can't find an artist picture there it looks in the folder you define in the MAI settings. Failing that it'll look online.

If you've defined an artist picture folder, then the result of the online search would be stored in that folder for future use.

But there's nothing in my mai/artist (except 'artist.png.missing' 0
bytes), artwork or lyrics folders or in cache/mai_coverart.

Does LMS have write permissions on the folders you defined?

--

Michael