expectingtofly wrote:
> I hope it's not the end of the iPlayer plugin.  It really is/was a model
> in how to provide rich functionality simply and directly, which i too
> have used for many years.    The Sounds  plugin was never meant to
> replace it, it was created to follow the BBC Sounds provision model, for
> those that wanted to sign in and follow it (which I personally find
> useful) .  But I suppose inevitably,  it may end up the only way to
> access the on demand content.
> Of course in many ways the iplayer plugin will live on, especially bpa's
> work on the audio decoding that is the basis for dash/aac decoding in
> the  Youtube and BBC sounds plugins.  That's the wonder of open source.

I'll keep supporting BBCiPlayer & Extra as long as it is feasible but it
is dependent on BBC.  It is always good to have a backup.

BBC Sounds is another natural evolutionary iteration of BBC on LMS.
AlienBBC had screenscraping & RealAudio which was then replaceed by
FlashAudio and a BBC "Listen Again" feed.
Then BBCiPlayer with the same feeds but moved to HLS, Flash and MP3 and
then to DASH. I took on maintenance of BBCiPlayer mainly for selfish
reasons - I used it.

"Listen Again" feed is now creaking and BBC have wanted to retire it for
ages. BBC retired the other APIs BBCiPlayerExtra used hoping Nitro would
work but I think tech overtook Nitro.  RMS evolved and now seems stable
and why I think it is a solid basis.