I think I got something working.
And it is not super difficult to achieve.

caveat:
I am using Home Assistant to manage my "things"

How?
Within Home Assistant I installed Node-Red. It is a flow programming
tool that can be embedded within Home Assistant and pull information
from it.

>From there, I trigger an action (poll state) on a state change of the
piCorePlayer - the resulting state is text-based and can be "off",
"idle", etc.
There doesn't seem to be power-on state... so I enabled the condition on
whether or not the state is "off".

the outgoing result (2 triggers) are sent to a "service call" that turns
on or off the power socket.

I have not debugged yet, but this seems to do the trick nicely.

|Filename: switch.png                                               |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32581|