Based on the contributions of several forum members, including myself,
in the 'Community Radio Firmware project thread'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111663-Community-Build-Radio-Firmware),
I have built updated firmware for the Radio, Touch and Controller.

The only key missing feature from the original firmware is the lack of a
native wma decoder.  If you need to decode the wma format, install the
Play Windows Media (WMA) plugin from bpa on LMS.  Note that if you run
LMS on Windows, wma decode support is built-in and does not require the
plugin.

I've been running various versions of the custom firmware on the one
Radio and Touch that I own without any issues for nearly a year.
Michael has been using my Radio and Controller firmware for a while now
without any problems and the older community radio firmware I released
last month, has been downloaded nearly 70 times without any issues
reported, so it should be fairly safe for everyone to try.  That being
said...

THE FIRMWARE IS MADE AVAILABLE WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; WITHOUT EVEN THE
IMPLIED
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Not all the original source code is available under the 'SqueezePlay BSD
License'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?74049-Squeezeplay-now-under-BSD-License),
so several features use the binary modules from the last available
original firmware for that device.  A summary of the changes and binary
modules used are available by clicking the link in the plugin settings
page or 'here'
(https://ralph_irving.gitlab.io/lms-community-firmware/changelog.html).

To simplify installation of the new firmware, Michael has created a
plugin for LMS which redirects the firmware update check and download to
my alternate site.

It's available in the 3rd Party Plugin section of the LMS
Settings->Plugins tab.  After installaton and an LMS restart, navigate
to Settings->Advanced->Community Firmware for Touch/Radio/Controller and
click the checkbox to enable the redirection.

Once enabled, it can take up to the duration set in the LMS Software
Updates setting, which by default is 24 hours, before the firmware is
downloaded and your device prompts with the option to install the
update.
You can also navigate to Settings->Advanced->Software Update to check if
v8.0.1rxxxxx is available on the device.  You also have to have enabled
the check for software updates for LMS to even look for new firmware.

I STRONGLY suggest that you perform a Factory Reset of your devices
before installing the new v8.0.1 firmware for the first time.  Many of
the patches available for the original firmware are built-in now and may
cause squeezeplay to fail to start at boot.  The Enhanced Digital Output
(EDO) applet for the Touch works with the new firmware. However, make
sure you factory reset before upgrading if EDO is already runing on your
Touch.

To revert to the original Logitech firmware, uncheck the tick box in the
Commuity Firmware Plugin settings and the next time LMS checks for
firmware updates the old firmware will be downloaded and available to
install from the Software Update menu on the device.

Keep Safe and Merry Christmas!

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.