A quick thank you and positive feedback.   It was easy to update 1 radio
and 1 touch.   The radio has been stable since no drops of wifi, and no
reboots.  Reboots were a bit frequenct, I think because I has installed
saver switcher and two custom-clock screensavers.  I never had the
patience to chase that down, but it has not been a problem for a couple
of days.

In case it is helpful, this was with a Max2Play installation running
stretch/raspian.

New life into a great product.  BTW, radios seem fairly inexpensive
(~$50?) on ebay now.

My sincere thanks and wishes for the new year.