I opened spotty.prefs in Notepad++ then unchecked "Clean up titles" and
clicked apply. Immediately Notepad++ informed me that the file has been
modified so I reloaded it and could see that "cleanuptags" had been
cleared
I restarted LMS and spotty.prefs had not changed.
When I opened Spotty settings, Notepad++ again informed me that
spotty.prefs had changed and sure enough "cleanuptags" had been set to
1.

Oh, I think I know what's going on now. I believe that sometimes the settings when disabled would be undefined rather than an empty string or zero. In that case the value gets re-initialized on next startup.

I'm not sure whether this is a Perl or YAML module version thing, or the browser. I'll add some validation.

--

Michael