cpd73 wrote:
> How either of these perform mix-wise will be dependent upon your music
> collection. Roland is of the opinion that Musly is -much- better at
> similarity than Essentia (see 'Similarity (Essentia) DSTM mixer - call
> for help'
> (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113483-Similarity-(Essentia)-DSTM-mixer-call-for-help))
> However, I have been using this Essentia DSTM for a few months, on and
> off, and am reasonably happy.
I think one of the challenges here is that people have quite different
opinions on what "similar tracks" actually are. Do they need to sound
similar (timbre, tonality) ? Same genre? Same style? Same rhythm? Same
mood? etc. Is e.g. a fast/aggressive speed metal track similar to a
fast/aggressive EBM track? A slow/calm classical piece to a slow/calm
acoustic singer/songwriter ballad? etc.
That being said, I think there's room for improvement for the Essentia
mixer - I've written a PoC which uses a different method to determine
similarity (based on the same data), and initial testing suggests
improved results (imo, obviously)
Additionally,  some of Essentia's tensorflow models have been updated
recently, so that's another venue to explore.

'Various SW' (https://www.nexus0.net/pub/sw/): Web Interface | TUI |
Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music |
Announce | EventTrigger | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
'Various HowTos' (https://www.nexus0.net/pub/documents/LMS/): build a
self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...