Code:
--------------------
--------------------

> Success! Audio output.

this will be using the default output.

> Then I tried with *hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0* and all of the other
> "bcm2835 Headphones" devices and either got no sound or various error
> messages.

Did you check volume ?
Different devices can have different settings.

Until you have things settled, I'd avoid "hw:" as they require the
output to be matched to the input with no conversion.
Try "plughw:" devices first as they support ALSA software conversion
which increase chances of audio output.

So, the things that I have noted are:

> >   >   >
  - *Man in a van*'s tutorial is using Raspian Lite and I have been
  > using Raspian OS with Desktop.
  - I have noticed an oddity in the result of the output from the
  > *sudo /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -l* command.  When I issue that
  > command in a terminal window on the pi desktop, the device "default"
  > is at the top of the list, referring to PulseAudio.  When I ssh to
  > the pi, the same command does NOT show this first line of a
  > "default" device, rather the first device listed is "null".  I'm not
  > sure if this is significant.
  - The other difference is that *Man in a van*'s tutorial shows that
  > his audio devices are listing as *CARD=ALSA* rather than the
  > *CARD=Headphone* that I am seeing.
  > > >

> I believe this last point to be the most important.  I'm not sure if
> it is related to the first point (ie the OS difference).  I have seen
> some info about PulseAudio but don't know enough about it to judge its
> impact in this situation.  In order to explore this further I'm going
> to burn another fresh image, this time with Raspian Lite and go
> through this process again.
>
> As before, I'll report back

IIRC Pulseaudio is now standard with Buster.  This can have an effect if
applications are sharing audio.

If there is no output with an ALSA device it is possible some other
application has already "opened" the device and so squeezelite has no
access - but no error will show.

Try enabling logging such as "-d output=info" to show what is happening
when handling output device