Well, many thanks to all, especially @Man in a van (ronnie) and @bpa.
After literally (by which I literally mean literally) exactly following
the steps outlined in post #26 of this thread I can report success.

I have to say that although I'm (fairly) certain that I had tested the
"-a :::0" flag in one of my many attempts, it could be that I have
created a false memory.

One point that I will add to the discussion.  At least on my pi4 (2Gb),
I had to set the "Wait for network" in the configuration.  Before I did
that, a "ghost" entry would show up in the LMS Player Information list
with a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00.  I expect this is because
squeezelite was starting before the network had finished initializing.
Note, the capture from below is before I upgraded to the latest
squeezelite.

> raspberrypi
Player Model: SqueezeLite

Player Type: squeezelite

Firmware: v1.8

Player IP Address: 192.168.1.151

Player MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

> raspberrypi
Player Model: SqueezeLite

Player Type: squeezelite

Firmware: v1.8

Player IP Address: 192.168.1.151

Player MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Once again, thanks for the hints, feedback and patience.

Cheers,
David