MichaelFFM wrote:
> Hello, got the message about a new LMS version from Pinkdot in my
> Synology... with comment time to move on.
>
> But when i will update there comes an error message that it should not
> compatible with my system... Running DSM 6.2.3 and Perl still 6.24...
> any information about whats happened?
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael

Hi! I've just gone through some maintenance updates on My Synology
DS218+ yesterday! I was still running a quite dated DSM version (6.2.2
Update 6), with a lot of notifications also for packages pending update,
including Perl.
I never enable auto-updates on any of my devices, since I always prefer
to read the release notes, etc. so it was quite easy and an immediate
catch to read the warning about the dropped compatibility of the latest
Perl with LMS.

Since I was at it, I started to venture into a sequence of very long
system/app updates.... paying due diligence to avoiding the Perl one.
On top of that, I was still on the "official" Synology beta version
7.9.1 of LMS... so I though it would be just the perfect timing to move
on to a more up-to-date revision of LMS for my x86_64 based DS218+.

I immediately tried upgrading to the very latest LMS Update 8.1.1 but
the process did not complete and I got the very same error message
saying that it was not compatible with the DSM version installed on my
system (initially 6.2.2 Update 6, but the same error continued to show
up with DSM 6.2.3 Update 3).
At that stage, I only assume it may be possibly due to the fact that I
was updating straight from LMS 7.9.1 (Synology beta) to Pinkdot's latest
8.1.1. so I decided to try with the most immediate last available
version and went ahead with downloading it from the official
repository.

It worked like a charm and LMS was correctly updated to the following
version:

Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 18:28:44 CET 2020

However, it was already 2:15 in the night and I told myself it was
probably wise to go to bed with a success and be happy about it, rather
than trying again updating to 8.1.1.
I'm not home yet, but I'd like to try again later if I can succeed
updating LMS from 8.0.0 - 1605892076 to the latest 8.1.1.

Is the LMS version currently on your Synology already the v.8.x.x, or
were you also trying updating from a previous v7.9.x release?

I will have to try again this evening, if it still does not work, I may
first try updating the DS218+ to DSM 6.2.4 and see if the error message
was actually due to the fact that LMS 8.1.1. can only be installed on
DSM 6.2.4.

Meanwhile, maybe some other users on the forum (or Pinkdot himself) will
be able to shed some light on this!
For the moment, I'm very happy that I finally give some fresh air to my
DS218+.... although it is very sad to read about Synology decision to
drop the support to LMS! :-(

Cheers,
Marco