Hi Matt

> So, I checked the translation helper, which starts out with the base
> language of English. For my purposes it would be a lot easier if I
> could start out with the base language of Dutch (Haags is a Dutch
> dialect).

Wow, I had no idea about Haags. Is this a language specific to your people
in Australia?

What you could do is change the fallback language. This is set to EN in
Slim/Utils/Strings.pm (pretty much at the top). Change this to NL, restart
SlimServer and you should get what you want.

And make sure you're using 6.5.2 or later, as the Dutch translation has
been updated and completed for that release.

I'd still not use it as fallback on your "production" system, as if
there's a string missing in the Dutch translation (thanks for telling us,
just in case ;-)), you won't get any string displayed, but the log file
filled up with backtraces complaining about a missing string.

> Is there a tool that I can use to load the strings file, and from there
> select the Dutch language file as a base?

With the the above change StringEditor should do the trick.

> Dutch language file into the Haags language file, so I can make the
> changes from there?

You could indeed extract all lines with NL into a custom-strings.txt file,
s/NL/HA/ (or whatever the ID for Haags is) and edit the file in a text
editor directly.

Have fun!

Michael