This should be fixed in version 2.1.9 which I published today.

StatusFirst was trying to do the right thing, but some time after LMS
verison 7.4, the method it uses to show information (the showBriefly()
client API) changed and required different usage for "Jive" players like
Touch and Radio. So on Jive players StatusFirst prevented the status
change but failed to display the current information.

I've verified version 2.1.9 works again on a Radio and a touchscreen
piCorePlayer, so I fully expect it would also work on a Touch.

(Yes, I know this is a 7-year-old thread.)

owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
(which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much
time on the forums.
*Free plugins:* AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu
DenonSerial
FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket
SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock