I just tried my laptop with Spotty 4.4.9 and that also takes 5 seconds
to open an album in the Spotty library and debug logging slows
everything down even more. So I have no idea what is going on. Does
debug logging work correctly for anyone else?

How much is "even more"? The only difference between debug logging and not is the amout of information written to the server.log file (and the time needed to process that action). But really, this should be franctions of seconds, not dozens of them. Unless you have a problem on your file system, or an otherwise super slow IO system which takes a long time to write the additional data.

All that said you still haven't told me where (according to the log) Spotty was spending all that time. Feel free to share your server.log.zip with me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a