rbl wrote:
>  it still takes the params from ExecStart in
> /etc/systemd/system/squeezelite.service.
> So it seems to me with my setup which auto starts squeezelite at bootup,
> the settings in /etc/default/squeezelite are irrelevant.

Apparently so :)

> If I change the ExecStart line then on re-starting squeezelite I get a
> warning to run "systemctl daemon-reload" whatever that is. I do that,
> start squeezelite, and it picks up the new ExecStart parameters.

This is standard,

'https://serverfault.com/questions/700862/do-systemd-unit-files-have-to-be-reloaded-when-modified
'
(https://serverfault.com/questions/700862/do-systemd-unit-files-have-to-be-reloaded-when-modified)

> It's not as I expected. If I use /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop/start, it
> doesn't seem to pick up the parameters from /etc/default/squeezelite,

These files are created by using either the Desktop package manager or
"sudo apt install" (both ate Apt) in install squeezelite.

If you download and install squeezelie yourself, then you also have to
create the files to control it, which you have done.

If you read Gerrelt's blog, which I linked to, he provides files, scroll
down to "*Starting Squeezelite on startup*"

Which is how I used to do it :)

ronnie