Hi - running SqueezeLite and LMS 8.1.2 (latest versions) on my Pi4 I
found there was serious rebuffering on my Pi and SB3s earlier this year
when playing FLACs unless I specified "-a :::0". More recently I noticed
some background/popping noise on the Pi's headphone jack unless I
specified "-a 120:4::0".

Specify ALSA params to open output device, b = buffer time in ms or size
in bytes, p = period count or size in bytes, f sample format
(16|24|24_3|32), m = use mmap (0|1)
https://www.max2play.com/en/wiki/command-line-options-for-squeezelite/

Frankly I have no idea what this means!
- which buffer is affected and how do I know if the specified numbers
are in ms or bytes?
- what is "period count"
- which sample format? Surely the FLAC is what it is?
- what is mmap?

Any insights, or just a reference page, would be much appreciated so I
can understand more as to what is going on.

SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI
subwoofer
3 x SB3s + SB Radio
LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround