https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98049-Annouce-SB-Player-a-software-Squeezebox-player-app-for-Android

Redrum wrote:
> I also don't understand when the apps are running, foreground,
> background, and when they are not, the same is true to android in
> general i guess....
A full discussion of that is rather involved and you can probably find
articles explaining it.  In the context of Squeeze Ctrl and SB Player,
if the app's controls are in the notification panel then the app is
running. If not it is closed.

Redrum wrote:
> Anyhow, what I would like to do is this. I would like to launch SB
> Player when I open Squeeze Ctrl. I would like to "close" SB Player when
> Squeeze Ctrl is "closed". But, having said that, if I use the squeeze
> ctrl widget, when does it actually stop running?
If you enable Auto Launch and set "Close SB Player when the app exits"
to "Always", then it should do what you want.  Pressing connect on the
widget will launch the app in the background and pressing the 'X' will
close it.

The app launching capability of SB Player is more meant for launching
music visualizers or other controller apps, but some people do use it to
launch Squeeze Ctrl.