philippe_44 wrote:
> Squeezelite’s internal representation of samples is always 32 bits. I’ve
> done a 16 bits version for the esp32 implementation but it’s purely to
> save memory and cpu.
>
> Without questioning that you hear a difference, I can ensure you that
> padding 0’s is not the cause, you should investigate other reasons.

does padding with zeroes increase dynamic range ?

16 bit to 32 bit to 24 bit

doesnt 16bit to 24bit seem cleaner ? -- does it matter -- i dont know --
i just want to try it to see if it makes a difference to my ears. or
maybe just knowing that one step is removed will make it sound better to
me. who cares. it will sound better to me.

Changing a "32" to a "24" somewhere in the code cant be that difficult
correct ? -- if it crashes on me then it crashes. no big deal.