oshcar wrote:
> i got an answer the other day saying the extra zeroes dont matter
> because there is no information within them
> the information not present is voltage ?

I think the answer said the zeroes were added for resolution when doing
calculations. They do not add information (e.g. do not add more audio
details) to the original number but allow calculation to be done more
accurately.

Each CD quality PCM sample is 16 bits but to do accurate calculation you
need more than 16 bits and so 32 bits is used as that is convenient for
processing.

Information is a odd concept - with the original punch card - the
information is the position of the holes - so the card only keeps the
holes in place.