d6jg wrote:
> I already have that sort of set up - currently 1 x Pi3, 1 x Core32 and
> an old HP Microserver with SSD all using the same QNAP NFS store. The HP
> is still the fastest! There is another Pi3 at a remote location with a
> synced copy of the music files on another QNAP. I recognise that most
> people don't have the amount of kit that I do. Multiple dockers on a
> single Pi sounds an interesting approach - an excuse to get another Pi4!

(Distinctly off topic and I apologise...)

I was going to do exactly this with a Pi 4 (and did initial testing with
that), but then remembered I had an old NUC 2820 machine in a cupboard
doing nothing
(https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/78953/intel-nuc-kit-dn2820fykh.html)...and
I recently went down this path.

So recently I decided to get on board the docker train, and I thus now
have all of these running in docker:

- 1 * Reverse-Proxy/Let's Encrypt SWAG gateway thing
- 1 * LMS (have previously run two, and might again, kids vs. adults -
  rather than trying to use multiple library approaches within LMS...you
  just switch the player between the available sources and off you go,
  works well!)
- 1 * MariaDB
- 1 * MariaDB-backup tool
- 1 * OneDrive (this only runs overnight for syncing my music to my
  work library, as this one -is- a bit of a CPU hog when it does its
  periodic re-syncs otherwise)
- 2 * Headless Kodi instances (allowing for 24/7 library updates
  without the need to run library scans on client machine -> pointing at
  two libraries, one for kids and one for adults)
- 1 * Beets (for largely automated incoming music processing)
- Some youtube-dl and other containers I spin up as-needed

...all running on that puny (Celeron 2830, 8gb ram, some sort of basic
2TB SSD in there) machine...without performance issues.  CPU rarely goes
over 10% in day to day use.

The Pi 4 is now doing duties with PiHole and PiVPN - but it would easily
run two LMS instances I'd say.  Initial scans might take a while but
other than that, the WebUI/Material was very responsive (I have about
1800 albums in all), Spotty worked fine etc.

Docker is _great_ for this sort of thing.  You have one compose file
which very clearly defines all the ports and folders used, so everything
is nicely in one place.  Then simple commands to upgrade, start and stop
the services defined in there.  I have another docker-LMS instance on a
Kodi (Coreelec, Odroid N2) machine I take when we travel (well,
theoretically, travel being a bit constrained of late :( )

And the performance is near native....amazingly so, really.  From a
practical perspective you just can't tell it's virtualised really.  So
in summary, I think for multiple libraries the docker approach with
separate LMS instances is a great way to go for multiple libraries, if
you're on the fence...