raglencross wrote:
> Thanks, Phil, for looking into this. I am using LMS v8.2 on a RPi 4 with
> the Raspian OS.
>
> At approximately 11:20 am ADT, I attempted to play/stream a few items
> using the dot notation, as you requested, and got the base-ID error.
> Hopefully, you can now catch this with your additional debug code.
>
> I get what you are trying to do with the changes, but with 84 favourites
> organized in 4 folders (one with subfolders), and a middling internet
> speed (20-30 Mbps), I was having no problems retrieving content. I
> especially liked using the dot method based on the folder and subfolder
> numbers, probably because of years of conditioning using this file
> structure on OS's from DOS through to Linux.
>
> Just to clarify, previously the top level folders were listed first and
> then their contents. Next, the subfolders were listed, followed by their
> contents. Folders, subfolders and contents were all numbered. In the new
> system, only the contents are numbered with a folder header shown on the
> echo show where appropriate. I do like this approach, as it is a more
> logical way of presenting the information in a folder structure. My vote
> is to stick with this approach, but reinstate the folder dot notation,
> if possible. I favour this over using names/sequential numbers because
> to my mind it is easier to access "Meisterwerke der Oper" in folder 4,
> subfolder 1, item 5  by saying "4 dot 1 dot 5" then remembering that it
> is No. "42" or, God forbid, trying to get Alexa to understand the German
> words :confused:

Thanks for running the tests for me and also for the feedback. I found a
silly bug that was causing the error :o

However, while playing around I found a -much -better way to handle
favorites under the hood. It makes the dotted syntax play instantly with
predictable IDs rather than ephemeral IDs. It also removes the need for
recursion in most of the other forms of playback. If recursion -is-
needed, the discovered favorites hierarchy is stored in so-called
-session-storage- so that it is re-usable within the same session. If
you get a favorite specification wrong then the re-attempt is much, much
faster. :cool:

I'll play with it a little more just to check on corner-cases and push
it live tomorrow. But it is -much -more fluid in my testing so far.