Mattyrow wrote:
> I realise LMS is a popular music server and I’ve been reading up on
> alternative ones like Moode and Volumino.  Many folks suggest everything
> else being equal (e.g. hardware) the sound from other servers seem
> better. Now if it’s bit perfect to to each server, can software really
> introduce differences, especially of the file is played native i.e.
> Flac, ALAc etc
>
> I’m not convinced in theory - not experimented myself yet. Just wondered
> if anybody has experience?

The server just does that -- it 'serves' the file to the player.

There may be differences in functionality (UI, etc), but so long as the
server provides the bits efficiently, as far as native formats go, there
will be no difference in sound quality.

And even with server-transcoded formats, unless there's something
woefully lacking in the code, I doubt most people would detect a
difference.

There *may* be differences due to how the bits get from the server to
the player -- WiFi, wired, USB, BT, etc -- due to factors like
electrical-noise interference. That said, you'll find enough
contradictory opinions out there about which medium is better/best to
suggest there's not really much underlying difference.

The player -- the DAC -- the thing that turns bits into analog signal --
is what counts.

At the risk of a crude analogy, it's like editing a document file that's
stored on a file server. It doesn't matter what OS the file server is
running on, it's the word processor (player) you use to edit (play) the
document (audio file) that will make any difference that matters.

Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS running on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10)
+ OMV on a Pi4 (4GB RAM) in an Argon Neo case.