erland;215956 Wrote:
> The Custom Browse startup time isn't related to the number of tracks, it
> reads and parses all the XML files at startup and this takes some time.
> It takes about 10-15 seconds on my machine.
>
> If Multi Library plugin is installed this might also affect the startup
> time for Custom Browse, in this case the number of libraries will cause
> longer startup time.
>
> The Custom Scan startup time on the other hand is related to number of
> tracks and this can take some time if you have a lot of tracks and slow
> hardware with little memory. The problem is the Mixed Tag scanning
> module. So if you don't use the Mixed Tag scanning module it is a good
> idea to disable it and then click the "Clear" link beside it to remove
> the data in the database.

Thanks for response, Erland. I like your fantastic work and your great
plugins, so I'm unlucky not to use the Custom Browse Plugin at the
moment because of its startup performance. In my actual slimserver
plugin configuration (see below) the Custom Browse plugin is definitely
the performance-switch. Is it off, Slimserver starts in less than 1 min.
Is it on, Slimserver needs up to 8 min. to start as a service. What I
don't know is, whether it may be caused by a special combination of the
Custom Browse plugin AND another one. As we discussed in another thread
I have deactivated the Mixed Tag module in Custom Scan, so this is for
sure not the reason. And my hardware should be powerful enough.

Plugin configuration, activatet plugins marked (x):

        (x) Command Line Interface (CLI)
        (x) Date and Time Screensaver
        (-) Snow Screensaver
        (-) Custom Browse
        (x) Custom Scan
        (-) Custom Skip
        (x) Digital Input
        (x) Dynamic Playlists
        (x) LazySearch
        (-) iTunes
        (x) Multi Library
        (x) MusicMagic
        (x) MusicInfoSrc
        (x) Browse Music Folder
        (x) NetworkPerformanceCheck
        (-) Podcasts
        (-) Real Rhapsody
        (x) Remove Played Songs
        (-) RS232
        (-) RSS-Newsticker
        (x) SlimTris
        (x) SQL Playlist
        (x) TrackStat
        (x) Visualizer Screensaver
        (x) Wiedergabeliste speichern
        (x) Windows: Prevent System Standby While Playing
        (x) XML-RPC/JSON-RPC Interface
        (x) xPL-Schnittstelle
        (x) Random Mix

erland;215956 Wrote:
> Anyway, if you are running SlimServer on decent hardware and are getting
> startup times of several minutes I think I'll need to look at this
> again, because then it feels like some optimization is suitable.
>
> What hardware are you running SlimServer on ?

Slimserver is running on a nearly blank Windows XP installation
(seperate partition) to save all resources for the application.

Hardware: Intel Pentium D Dual-Core-CPU (3.0 GHz) and 3GB RAM. This
should be a very comfortable situation for slimserver....

Hope you can help, Erland.

Martin

--
Capricorn