By investigating the network, I can see that all the devices are
requesting spotify-connect._tcp.local via mDNS/5353 and getting no
reply. I have seen many posts suggesting to map port 5353/udp to the
container but as far as I can tell, no process actually *binds* to this
port (and I checked that it is free and not already used by another host
process or container). Anyway, port is mapped and it doesn't help.

It's my understanding that the helpers would not "bind" to that port but listen to UDP broadcasts on that port. And those broadcasts don't make it through to the container. From what I understand most solved this problem using Docker's host mode networking.