Material will open pdf files on my LInux desktop. I think its inability
to do so on Android is more an Android limitation than a Material issue,
but I don't know enough to be certain of that. And I have no knowledge
of iOS.

to download a pdf file and then open it independently. But with the
Material apk, all you get is silent failure.

I'll drop a link to this thread in the main Material thread.

LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players,
occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.