Jim,
appologies, I didn't want to come across rude. I have been working on
this for quite some time now and naturally checked whether i. e. the
drive itself is operating before the network implementation. Here is one
example for a RaspberryPi related samba <-> windows incompatibility and
with a solution which I was following before I asked for help.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=200482
I have found more accounts of this behavior that I had found when I was
searching for a solution for the problem.

The hard disk drive attached via USB to the Pi4 2 GB rev 1.5 PCB is a
Toshiba product,MQ01ABD100, production date 3/2013. It comes with a
USB3-controller and is attached to one of the four Pi4 USB ports. I have
tried both USB 3.0 as well as USB 2.0 ports, with no difference. I have
also attached the disk itself to another hdd controller from another
case, which is a USB 2.0 controller, but this did not make a difference.
Therefore I assume the issue is not happening at the hardware level.