What I cannot get to work so well is Spotify Connect - I get stuck on
particular tracks (clicking next just plays the same track again); the
track playing is different to the one showing as playing; and tracks
that never end.
Is there a solution that has worked for these problems? The reality, I
suppose, is that I don't really need to use Spotify Connect and could
just use Spotty, but we always want more!

Unfortunately I'm aware of the fact that Connect is rather, ahm... sensitive. I always hoped I'd find the key to stability at some point. But I'm not there yet.