Hello Jim and others,

Had another attempt to run once I understood it doesn't effect the
overall install and that one can revert to normal operation.

Perhaps some quirk of my browser / cache but on a third attempt it seems
to be behaving and appears to offer the options I expected. I confess
I've not really touched the sytem for a year or so and am not a
programmer/linux expert although technically competent by dint of
hardware electronics experience , early microprocessors (worked at Psion
on manufacturing test sytem design and DAB radio)

I've reinstalled the server more than once but each time I've done so
everything including the O/S , Server etc has moved on a few iterations
and scope for issues to catch the newbie out.

Last a couple of times I recall I had to install Perl , which was a new
requirement as I understood things.

I've a manual script/procedured that I've put together and includes
modifying the  fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /media/music vfat rw,user,umask=000,uid=112,gid=65534 0 0

This came from an early blog/article on installing Squeezeboxserver on a
Pi. It's worked for me . In truth I beleive it gives permission to the
server to access the music stored on my external hard drive. Is this
correct.

I'd welcome any comments about the simplest route to install today and
access music on an external device (1 Terabyte Hard Drive with 1700 Flac
CDs). Thanks once again.