Curious. The instructions in my previous posting will test a freshly
downloaded mplayer with the Mr Kite sample. This test is independent of
any AlienBBC or Slimserver installation.

I've started Slimserver on my Mac and followed the instructions for
installing AlienBBC on
http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/installation.html#mac

I moved the mplayer binary I tested yesterday from /Downloads to the
required /usr/local/bin location for AlienBBC. Everything all works
very well for me.

You can see the list of files that mplayer is using by starting
Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities and then starting mplayer.
While mplayer is active, select it in the Activity monitor window, then
clicking the Inspect button. In the window that opens, select the Open
Files and Ports tab.

Here's the list of open files I get from my mplayer while listening to
Radio 4:

/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server
/usr/local/bin/mplayer
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.3.16.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.1.0.dylib
/usr/lib/libexpat.1.5.0.dylib
/System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IOHIDLib
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-023501.csstore
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
/Users/steve/Library/Logs/slimserver.log
/Users/steve/Library/Logs/slimserver.log

In your error message, the problem seems to be caused by a missing X11
library.

The name of the file is different to the one that I see. However, when
I open a Finder window on the /usr/X11/lib directory, I see a file
called /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, which is an alias, pointing to
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.3.16.dylib. There is also an alias to the X11
folder, called X11R6, in the /usr folder. So on my system a reference to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib will actually open the file
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.3.16.dylib.

Could you open a Finder window of the /usr directory to see what is in
there? To do this, go to the Finder, then use shift-command-G to go to
a particular folder and type /usr. If the 6.3.16 file is present you
could attempt to create an alias to it called libfreetype.6.dylib. To
create an alias, select the item you wish to create an alias to and
type command-L. Creating any necessary aliases should at least fix the
'missing library' error.

Steve

--
sdhubbard