> I've noticed yours only submits to Last.FM at the end of a track
instead of immediately at the beginning like the default plugin does

I think that's just because the official plugin also supports LastFM's
'now playing' feature. If it's done correctly you can tell LastFM what
you're playing but not scrobble it if doesn't meet the criteria.
I haven't implemented this in SqueezeScrobbler because I feel it's
rather pointless - I already know what I'm listening to because I'm
listening to it!

James