> I hope the 7.1 improvements really to what I need.
>
> I regularly listen to ripped radio programs - one I listen to a lot,
> for example, starts with 6 minutes of news, and has 6 more minutes at
> the 1 hour point.  Song Scanner makes skipping this a breeze.

The 7.1 version (available a a nightly build if you are eager to take on
the risks) will operate on holding FWD, then you get a similar bar display
which you can control with the arrow buttons and it will jump to that
position after a short pause.  The UI also adds a vertical cursor to show
you the current song position.
-k