Once SqueezePlay is out as a Desktop, I'm sure there will be more use
and more interest.
There is very little chance of Duet being "forgotten".  I think it's
FAR too early to
be so negative.  It's a new platform, a new direction.  I came in
about 5-6 years ago.
At that time, there were all of two people doing plugins.  I
originally borrowed a lot from both.
Only one of those two is still around (now working for Logitech).

Even at the time of the Plugin contest  (3 years ago??) the plugins
for SS/SC were only a healthy handful.
I'd almost venture to say that the number of plugins has grown
substantially SINCE the Logitech merger.
One of the benefits of a larger audience, I guess.  Of course, many
come from similar origins, but meet more
specific requirements.  All it takes for Controller plugins is that
foundation.  It's a hard battle to get there.  Some authors have moved
on,
choosing not to keep up with api changes or running out of time,
others have taken on larger roles with SC and even working for Logitech.
That leaves far less time for working on plugins.

A key point is that it's important to remain patient.  Plugin support
is there, but actual plugins rely on the contribution of free time by
individuals
who have just a bit more than self-interest involved.  Some have thick
skins and are not affected by impatience but those who aren't may simply
not bother.  Some do it for fun, and stop when it's no longer fun.

Perhaps it may be time for another plugin contest after 7.3/7.4 comes
out??
-kdf