Your algorithm seems fine to me, I can't think of any easier way to do
this. If you want to do this in the TrackStat code, the correct place
to do it is in:
Plugins/TrackStat/Storage.pm in the saveTrack function.

This section of the code needs to be extended:

Code:
--------------------

  my $track     = undef;
  if(!$ignoreTrackInSlimserver) {
  $track = objectForUrl($url);
  return unless $track;
  }

--------------------

You will need to extend this so if objectForUrl returns undef you try
to find the track with the same end part of the url. When you have
found it, you also need to set $url to the new url.

It feels like this would be useful in some situations, so if you decide
to do it in the TrackStat perl code, please send me the patch and I'll
try to include it in a future version.

If you do it in .Net, I'll consider to implement the logic in the
TrackStat perl code myself in a future version.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) 'My download page'
(http://erland.isaksson.info/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))