Squeezecentre says it's playing the stream, and a quick look at the
process list on the server confirms the usual mplayer process playing.
It happens regardless of whether you send raw PCM, flac or mp3 to
SoftSqueeze.

I can also add more confirmation that this problem does not occur on
either my SB2 or SliMP3 players  (again regardless of format - they all
start playback OK).

I tried changing the mixer from direct sound to the Java sound engine,
and I could swear it worked ok the first time (I'm clearing the
playlist between tests, as I've noticed "pause" does not kill the
mplayer processes).  I haven't been able to repeat this, so I might
have imagined it...

SC 7.2 on OpenSUSE 11
Softsqueeze 3.7 on Java 1.6.0_05 on Windows XP SP3

--
Scooter