I’m using xPL to issue commands to control a Windows application in
response to IR signals received by a Squeezebox 3 or a Boombox.  If you
enable the xPL interface (supplied in a standard Squeezecenter
installation) then install the core xPL software xPLHal (v1.60 from the
xPL Project site) and xPLHub (from xPLmonkey.com) you should be able to
get to the stage of creating ‘Determinators’. These handy things will
enable you to perform an action in response to an IR stimulus.
I have no programming knowledge but, using this method, I’m able to
change the radio station on a DVB-S card sitting in my Squeezecenter PC
by pressing buttons on the squeezebox remote. I imagine that with some
scripting skill it would be possible to do fancier tasks than that.
Incidentally, regarding your point ‘all IR signals are transparently
forwarded to the squeezeserver’, my experience suggests only valid
Slim Devices or JVC DVD commands get repeated to the server. I think
the Squeezebox firmware determines this.
Good luck.

--
Skye