nacmacfeegle;366235 Wrote:
> Would the No Setup plugin
> http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php?nr=428&kategorie=slim-plugins
> do what you want?
>
> Kids could play with the 'real remote' but not be able to access any
> server config settings...??

I'm afraid not -- NoSetup does half of what I want, prevent setup
changes, but doesn't take care of the other half -- making the
Squeezebox easy for my very young kid to use. I'm waiting for delivery
of a universal remote to use with this (at which time I can do more
testing & release it officially), but I've got a version of the plugin
written and in my testing area. Info about it is at
http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KidsPlay.html

I'm still considering how to handle held buttons and repeated button
presses. The current code has logic to help deal with both (after
pressing a button & invoking a KidsPlay macro, that button will be
ignored until it has been released for a couple seconds), but I fear
it's a poor compromise between accommodating juvenile dexterity and
maintaining usability for adults. That's especially true for the Boom
overrides (for quite a while I've wanted options for customizing the
Boom preset buttons, so I added the ability to redefine them in
addition to JVC buttons).

I'm not even sure I like the KidsPlay name -- the ability to map sets
of CLI commands to Boom preset buttons has little to do with juvenile
use. But I had to call it something... did I mention it's not in my
official release repo yet?

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver ContextMenu FuzzyTime
KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock