Paul_B;386277 Wrote:
> Sorry to ask such a trivial question (I did search this thread first).
> Where in the Windows version does the log file get created?
>
> I'm having problems with the plugin and suspect it is a policy or user
> permission issue. I'm running Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate in a domain
> environment. Running the commands of scpowertool interactively works
> fine. My SC is running as a service as a specific user that has local
> admin over the box.
SrvrPowerCtrl logs in a couple of different places:

For the plugin itself, if you turn logging on via SC
Settings->Advanced->Logging->SrvrPowerCtrl->debug, the plugin posts
messages to SC's server.log.  You can see the log via web interface
using the links at SC Settings->Information->Squeeze Center Log File.
On linux systems, that link shows the location of the log file on disk.
Presumably, it will on a Vista box too.

SCPowerTool.exe, by default, posts it's log to SCPowerTool.log which
will be located in the same directory as the exe.  I'm not sure if
Vista will interfere with that if SCPowerTool.exe is located in a
protected directory.

I also included a "--log=logfilepath.log" option.  Using that, you
ought to be able to put SCPowerTools' log anywhere you like.  One
caveat: SC's prefs system doesn't seem to support storing string data
with quotes in it.  So, the path to the log file either can't contain
any spaces or you need to use the short path, e.g.:

--log=C:\temp\DIRONE~1\DIRTWO~1\SCPOWE~1.LOG instead of
"--log=C:\temp\Dir one\Dir two\SCPowerTool.log"

I haven't tried to compile and link a 64b version of the exe.  Do you
think a 64b version of SCPowerTool.exe would make the difference here?

I do have a copy of Vista 64 business installed on one of my machines.
But it's been well over a year since I booted from that partition and
I'm very fearful of the nasty things it's likely to say to me for
having ignored it for so long.  Eventually, I imagine that the DSM will
contain a specific diagnostic term to describe "fear of an operating
system."  OSophobia?

If you manage to sort this out, (if, e.g. you need to make changes to
local group policies or something) please post your findings here and
I'll incorporate them into the readme.

Thanks!

--
gharris999