Thanks for the reply!  I'd completely forgotten about this until today.

However, I only had iPlayer plugin 0.4 installed, so I upgraded it to
0.6 (it took me forever to work out that all I needed to do was click
"upgrade" in squeezecenter!)

And no, I didn't have Alien BBC installed - I assumed that since I'm
based in the UK anyway that the iPlayer plugin would get me everything.
But I've installed it now and I'll see how I get on.

Unfortunately the program that didn't work has now dropped of the list
for listen again, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I get
on...

--
RobertCL