gharris999;491983 Wrote:
> What do you guys think: should the 'on-idle' and 'not-idle' stuff be
> broken out of SrvrPowerCtrl and put into a separate plugin...something
> along the lines of the PreventStandby plugin for Windows?  SrvrPowerCtrl
> has always been about trying to control power states on a headless,
> dedicated SBS server with no OS power-save features enabled.  It seems
> like more and more folks are using non-dedicated machines as the audio
> server for their Squeezeboxen and trying to keep their OS's power
> schemes in play.  Trying to accommodate this is having the effect (at
> least in my head) of stretching SrvrPowerCtrl out of shape.
>
> Would a separate, bare-bones 'IdleState' plugin with none of the bells
> & whistles of SrvrPowerCtrl be a better match here?
>
> IdleState could execute user-configured commands at a user-configured
> frequency according to three different states:
>
> not-idle (i.e. playing, scanning, firmware updating).
>
> idle (i.e. none of the above)
>
> grace (idle, but within a grace time-out since the last not-idle)
>
> (SrvrPowerCtrl currently doesn't differentiate between 'not-idle' and
> 'grace'.)
>
> Would this be a better match for what you guys want to do?

That sounds like just the ticket!

I am using using a non-dedicated machine as an audio server (running
Win7 Media Center) and trying to keep the OS's power schemes in play.  I
have the issue with the server not staying awake after it has been woke
up by a Squeezebox.  I had the same problem with Vista.

I imagine there a lots of folks in similar situations using a
multi-function server.

--
squeezesnapper