tamanaco;498493 Wrote:
> Michael, correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that the server is
> only used to speed up the analysis process. If the track you're trying
> to analyze is already in the server then it sends you an identifier and
> the analysis data. If the track is not in the server then using the
> MusicIP client your computer analyzes the data (a longer process) and
> sends the analysis results to the server so that subsequent user that
> need to analyze the same track avoid the long analysis process. In other
> words, I thought that the MusicIP client could work independent of the
> server. Of course, anylizing a big library, from scratch, in stand-alone
> mode would take a very, very long time.

This is my understanding, too. In ripping a couple of albums today
(Christmas day in Oz) I found that the MIP servers are still up and the
analysis was very quick.

tamanaco;498493 Wrote:

> I've have been backing up the analysis data (default.m3lib) as I
> thought this would spare me from ever having to analyze my library from
> scratch again. I did not embed the signatures in my FLAC files as
> MusicIP has forever been in beta.

I have always embedded the analysis, and apart from some problems with
a few Apple Lossless tracks and an early beta of MIP some time ago, I
have never had a problem with the tags that MIP adds to tracks. My
library is almost completely FLAC now.

tamanaco;498493 Wrote:

> Are you saying that the MusicIP server massages the analyzed data
> further once the local process is done and that without the server any
> MusicIP client analysis is useless?

One of the SB Server systems I built for a friend runs on a local
network that is not connected to the Internet and MIP works perfectly,
analyzes new CDs and make mixes without seeing the MIP server.

tamanaco;498493 Wrote:

> If this is the case, then the more reason for Logitech to license this
> service. I understand that the squeezeteam is going through a lot of
> changes, but MusicIP licensing should be on the list of to-dos for next
> year. If the owners of the MusicIP servers generate "some" revenue from
> the existing server(s), then they'd have an incentive to keep the
> service running. I will probably stay away from any new Squeezeproduct
> if MusicIP is no longer in the mix.

Agree with you here, as I have said in other posts over the years, MIP
is the icing on the Squeezebox cake.

--
Wirrunna

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.