squeeze2k;499843 Wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
>
> Tried to download all files as specified and copy them into my
> SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 firmware directory.
>
> My (Duet) player's firmware still wants to get upgraded to 7.4.1 r7915
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Squeezebox service has been restarted.
> Squeezebox Server is a WinXP box recently downgraded from 7.4.2 to
> 7.3.3 after reading about your firmware shuffle trick.
> Current firmware on player is 7.3.3 r6038
>
> One of the reasons for downgrading was also because I thought I would
> have more success waking up my machine from suspend with 7.3.3 - like
> most people here tend to have...
>
> I'm using your latest beta, v20091215.121332
> I've no problem suspending the server and "cmd /C start /B
> SCPowerTool.exe --standby --wakeup=-60" runs just fine
>
> Any help appreciated.
Again, what we're talking about here is maintaining SqueezeCenter 7.3.4
on your local server and being able to switch players back and forth
from the local SqueezeCenter to MySqueezebox.com without firmware
updates.

This trick is a little harder for the Duet, but it is possible.
However, there are a couple of real downsides in trying to do this.  The
biggest one that I've found is that the new SBC firmware from
MySqueezebox.com has some trouble with SqueezeCenter 7.3.4:
specifically, with the new SBC firmware, you can't use the SBC to switch
a player *to* MySqueezebox.com.  Interestingly, you *can* use iPeng to
switch a player from SqueezeCenter to MySqueezebox.com, but the SBC
running the 7.4 level firmware can't do it.  Also, if you're running the
7.3 level firmware on the SBC, you can switch the player to
"SqueezeNetwork".  But once the player and the SBC are "there", the SBC
will refuse to do anything else before you update the firmware.  This is
really maddening.

You *can* use the SBC with the 7.4 level firmware to fetch the player
back to the local SqueezeCenter.

My advice is, if you want to stick with SqueezeCenter 7.3.4, just avoid
using MySqueezebox.com at all costs.  Make internet radio playlists for
yourself.  But if you really, really need MySqueezebox.com, it's
probably best to submit and upgrade to Squeezebox Server 7.4.2.  At this
point, MySqeezebox.com has moved away from SqueezeNetwork.com enough
that SC 7.3.4's SqueezeNetwork functionality is fairly flaky.

Anyway, if you want to try this, this is what you need do: Again, these
instructions are for a linux installation.  You'll need to modify the
recipe accoringly for Windows or OSX.

Step 1: download the current crop of firmware to the Squeezecenter
Firmware folder:

Code:
--------------------

  cd /usr/share/squeezecenter/Firmware
  mkdir bak
  mv *.bin bak
  mv *.version bak
  wget -i http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.4.2/
  rm -f index.*

--------------------

Step 2: Copy the SBC firmware files to the SqueezeCenter cache folder:

Code:
--------------------

  cd /var/lib/squeezecenter/cache
  mv jive.version jive.version.old
  mv jive_7.3_r6038.bin jive_7.3_r6038.bin.old

  wget http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.4.2/jive.version -O
jive.version
  wget http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.4.2/jive_7.4.1_r7915.bin
-O jive_7.4.1_r7915.bin

--------------------

Step 3: Turn off software updates in the SqueezeCenter web interface:
go to Settings->Advanced->Software Updates and set to 'Don't check For
Software Updates'

Step 5: Restart SqueezeCenter

Step 6: Using the SBC, connect the SBR to SqueezeNetwork /
MySqueezebox.com.  Accept the software update on the SBC.  Wait for the
SBC to restart and connect to the SBR.

Step 7: Using the SBC, reconnect the SBR to your local SqueezeCenter:
My Music->Select the SqueezeCenter.

You should now be able to switch the Duet back and forth from
SqueezeCenter to MySqueezebox.com without firmware updates.  But again,
the SBC is not going to operate smoothly in this "mixed" environment.
But using the SB Receiver with iPeng + SC7.3.4 + MySqueezebox.com seems
to work OK.

--
gharris999