When I first started the project, I looked at the source code for the
slimp3slave player, and it looked pretty tiny and straight forward.  At
the time, SlimProtoLib was not ready yet, but I looked at the source and
it seemed to be both larger and more complex.  So I decided it would be
easier for me to implement SliMP3 rather than SB2 in perl...

As you noticed, with a tiny hack, the SlimServer will send FLAC to a
SliMP3 player, and since I did not have any real SliMP3 hardware that
would complain about that, I decided to go for it...

I have not looked into it recently, and it was not available back then,
but if there exists a perl module that wraps around SlimProtoLib (or
something), that would be a good way to go...

--
torp