JJZolx;509466 Wrote:
> That's not really what the OP said.  He said he has 2000 albums in one
> directory.  I'm guessing he doesn't have any one artist with 2000
> albums.
Yes, but the problem stays the same, whether you have 2000 albums in a
flat directory structure or 1600 artists, each with between 1 and 10
subdirectories containing the albums. What you get is a numbered list
with no indication where to click for letter "N", for example.

JJZolx;509466 Wrote:
> If your library is organized the way you state, with one artist per
> folder, then browsing by artist gives essentially the same hierarchy as
> browsing by music folder.
Correct.

JJZolx;509466 Wrote:
> In the web interface there are some added advantages to browsing by
> artist: you can display artwork, you can sort albums for each artist by
> year and you can have the year displayed.  You don't get any of that
> with browse music folder.
The difference is that you can browse to a newly added folder without
running the scanner first. In theory that should be the fastest way to
play new music. In practice, however, it is actually faster to run the
scanner and wait until it completes than to wade through dozens of
numbered pages.

In normal operation I don't use any of the browse options btw., but
simply type the name of the artist, album, or track in the search box.

--
usch