I've also been toying with the idea of getting an ipod touch and while
iPeng is the main attraction, if I'm going to justify to myself spending
that much, I want it to be more than a remote for my SBs, albeit a
super-funky one!  I'd like at least for it to be a decent mp3 player but
I've come across quite a few reports that its sound quality isn't great,
which I find a bit offputting. I'd welcome any comments on this. (I've
maybe been a bit spoilt in this regard as I still use my iRiver H140 and
that's generally regarded as one of the best sounding mp3 players there
has been.)

The other aspect of the Touch that interests me is as a way of
accessing the web and email.  How usable is it with such a small screen
and no keyboard?

Finally, is it really necessary to use iTunes with it?  I had it
installed once and I really didn't get on with it. I seem to recall it
was annoying even when I wasn't using it - kept hassling me about
downloading updates and other Apple stuff!

--
Zoltan