Okay, I've done a bit of research but I need more knowledge to implement
this idea.

I would like to use a daemon that runs in the background, on a computer
running squeezeslave, that listens for bluetooth devices and dependent
upon the proximity of that device to the computer, a CLI command it
sent to the squeezebox server to switch from one player to the other.

- blueproximity (http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/blueproximity) is a
service in Ubuntu
- my iPhone can act as the bluetooth device
- i've downloaded the switch player plugin

Here are the contents of the strings file accompanying the switch
player plugin

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER
        EN      Switch Player

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER_DESC
        EN      Allows you to transfer the currently playing playlist including
remote streams from one player to another player as you move between
rooms.

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER_TO
        EN      To

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER_FROM
        EN      From

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER_NOPLAYERS_PLAYING
        EN      No Available Players

PLUGIN_SWITCHPLAYER_NOPLAYERS_NONPLAYING
        EN      No Playing Players

Are these commands that I should use to perform the switching? And how
can I perform CLI commands to the squeezebox server?
Thanks!

--
Line